Project Duel Academy
Please Join or Login!
Project Duel Academy
Please Join or Login!
Project Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Role Play Academy concerning a project to improve duelists.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Battlin' Boxer deck guide

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

Fluff Fluff

Zed

Character Sheet
Name: Fluff
HP:
Battlin' Boxer deck guide Left_bar_bleue0/0Battlin' Boxer deck guide Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)

Battlin' Boxer deck guide Empty
PostSubject: Battlin' Boxer deck guide   Battlin' Boxer deck guide EmptySun Feb 16, 2014 6:08 am

I'm in another one of my writing moods to try and burn off stress. Today's deck guide is going to be about Battlin' Boxers including their new support just released on Dueling Network via Primal Origin. I've been running Boxers since they came to Dueling Network and over time they've evolved into probably my best main deck. I've had a lot of dueling with them and have gained much knowledge/expertise on the subject matter of them. I'm going to go through each Battlin' Boxer card as well as their support, and also touch on some essentials/tech cards that could be used. First, we'll start with the monsters.

Monsters

Battlin' Boxer Bailout
Level 4, Fire, Warrior, 0/1800
When you take battle damage: You can Special Summon this card from your hand, and if you do, gain Life Points equal to the damage you took.

One of the newer cards just released. This Boxer can act as a tardy Fader and help you regain lifepoints after a bad direct attack. Frankly, I'm in between with it. If your opponent has a massive swarm of monsters and they're going in for a near kill, you can have this card act as a scapegoat that restores lifepoints. I could see it as some use if you're going to normal summon Glassjaw/Headgeared next turn but that in itself is situational. Take it or leave it.

Run 0-2

Battlin' Boxer Counterpunch
Level 3, Fire, Warrior, 0/1100
During the Damage Step of either player's turn, when a "Battlin' Boxer" monster you control is attacking or being attacked: You can banish this card from your hand or Graveyard; that monster gains 1000 ATK, until the End Phase. You can only use the effect of "Battlin' Boxer Counterpunch" once per turn.

I ran this card for awhile myself and have come to see just what a pain in the ass it can be. Running more than 1 ultimately leads to dead draws in the end. A good combo to be pulled off with it is to use it along with Blaster to destroy a card your opponent controls. You're really not losing anything because it's effect can be used from the grave. Occasionally it helps pack that extra punch against opponents such as Stardust or Blue-Eyes but all and all I don't see it as worth it. The difference in level from the rest of the Boxers make it unusable for xyz summons. If you're looking for a change in attack to help you pull off a kill, just use Forbidden Lance.

Run 0-1.

Battlin' Boxer Headgeared
Level 4, Fire, Warrior, 1000/1800
When this card is Normal Summoned: You can send 1 "Battlin' Boxer" monster from your Deck to the Graveyard. Once per turn, this face-up Attack Position card cannot be destroyed by battle.

This is a Boxer that I feel should greatly be taken advantage of. Opening first turn with this + Foolish Burial is excellent. Dump Switchitter with the first and Glassjaw with the second. Allows you to bring Switchitter back to your hand instantly. It can also survive an attack once per turn. Unless your opponent has good swarming abilities first turn, this card is a good barrier for your life points.

Run 2-3

Battlin' Boxer Glassjaw
Level 4, Fire, Warrior, 2000/0
When this card is targeted for an attack: Destroy this card. When this card is sent to the Graveyard by a card effect: You can target 1 "Battlin' Boxer" monster in your Graveyard, except "Battlin' Boxer Glassjaw"; add that target to your hand.

This card is possibly the most important Boxer of the entire deck. Upon being targeted for an attack it self-destructs and results in a replay but upon it's death it'll be able to give you a Boxer from your grave. You don't have to suicide it though. Foolish Burial, Battlin' Boxer Headgeared, and multiple other mill engine cards and get this card to the graveyard to activate it's effect. Not only that, but detaching it for Battlin' Boxer Lead Yoke's effect will also trigger it. Excellent recycle engine for the deck.

Run 3.

Battlin' Boxer Rabbit Puncher
Level 3, Fire, Warrior, 800/1000
At the start of the Damage Step, if this card attacks a Defense Position monster: Destroy that monster.

If you run this you're bad at this game and should quit.

Run 0 (run 3 if you want me to lose all respect for you)

Battlin' Boxer Rib Gardna
Level 3, Fire, Warrior, 0/1400
During either player’s turn: You can banish this card from your hand or Graveyard, then target 1 “Battlin’ Boxer” monster you control; banish it until your next Standby Phase.

No. Most of the time you're not gonna keep any Boxers by themselves on the field. You're gonna xyz them into Lead Yoke. Using this on Lead Yoke destroys it's attack boost + gets rid of materials without Glassjaw activating. If your opponent tries to Dark Hole your Headgeared? Let them. Not like you can't Glassjaw/Switchitter for it back anyway.

Run 0.

Battlin' Boxer Shadow
Level 4, Fire, Warrior, 1800/1400
During your Main Phase: You can activate this effect; detach 1 Xyz Material from a "Battlin' Boxer" Xyz Monster you control, and if you do, Special Summon this card from your hand. You can only use the effect of "Battlin' Boxer Shadow" once per turn.

So you're going to detach one from Lead Yoke to summon this fucking thing? Not worth it. Even if you did it on Nova Caesar it'd be pointless. Glassjaw would miss the timing from this effect anyway if you were to detach it to summon this thing. The ONLY good thing about it is that it has a base attack of 1800. That's almost enough to take down a Luster Dragon :l

Run 0

Battlin' Boxer Sparrer
Level 4, Fire, Warrior, 1200/1400
If you control a "Battlin' Boxer" monster, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand). If you do, you cannot conduct your Battle Phase for the rest of this turn.

I find much use of this card. Opening up with summoning Glassjaw/Headgeared and then summoning this for Lead Yoke first turn can be quite common. There's also that neat wording of it's effect like Bahamut Shark; "REST of this turn." This means you can attack and then summon Sparrer in mp2. Probably the best Lead Yoke achiever next to Switchitter.

Run 1-3.

Battlin' Boxer Switchitter
Level 4, Fire, Warrior, 1500/1400
When this card is Normal Summoned: You can target 1 "Battlin' Boxer" monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target. You cannot Special Summon any monsters during the turn you activate this effect, except "Battlin' Boxer" monsters.

This is by far the best method of achieving Lead Yoke. It's very particular in the sense that you can't special summon anything besides Boxer monsters the turn that you use it's effect but it's worth it. Sure you can't make a Blackship of Corn with it but who cares when you can make a Lead Yoke that can evade destruction twice and get a nice power boost off of it. In my opinion, this is the most essential card of a Boxer deck.

Run 3.

Battlin' Boxer Big Bandage
Level 2, Fire, Warrior, 1100/1400
Once per turn, this card cannot destroyed by battle.
Once per turn: You can target 1 "Battlin' Boxer" monster in your Graveyard or 1 of your banished "Battlin' Boxer" monsters; the Levels of all face-up "Battlin' Boxer" monsters you currently control become the Level of that monster.

This is a card that pretty much says "I wish I was as good as Headgeared pls use me I promise i'll be good!" It tries to be intimidating with being wrapped in bandages to hide the fact that it sucks. Headgeared is obviously so much better than this card. You don't have to waste the time copying one of your dead/banished Boxers + you can dump a Boxer to your grave. Unless you feel sympathy for this card, don't use it.

Run 0.

XYZ monsters

Battlin' Boxer Cheat Commissioner
Rank 3, Fire, Warrior, 0/1300,  
2 Level 3 monsters
All monsters your opponent controls must attack, if able. While you control another "Battlin' Boxer" monster, your opponent cannot target this card for attacks. When an attack is declared involving another "Battlin' Boxer" monster you control: You can detach 2 Xyz Materials from this card; look at your opponent's hand, then Set 1 Spell Card from their hand to your side of the field.

Perhaps a good way of making your opponents monsters ram into Lead Yoke and detaching it's materials (one of which better be Glassjaw). During one of those attacks you could detach 2 to get a spell from your opponents hand to your side of the field. Problems with this: Finding 2 level 3 Boxers to use, and assuming there's a spell card in their hand. Although I just bashed it, Battlin' Boxer Big Bandage actually makes this monster easier to pull off than before assuming you're running and have used a Counterpunch previously.
Personally I don't run either of those so I'm sure as fuck not going to run this.

Run 0 (1 if you really do run Counterpunch + Bandage)

Battlin' Boxer Lead Yoke
Rank 4, Warrior, Fire, 2200/2000
2 Level 4 "Battlin' Boxer" monsters
If a "Battlin' Boxer" monster(s) you control would be destroyed by battle or by a card effect, you can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card instead of destroying 1 of those monsters. When an Xyz Material(s) is detached from this card: This card gains 800 ATK.

*godly music plays* This is the boss of a Battlin' Boxer deck. This is why you play Battlin' Boxers. This card is also my favorite card. Lead Yoke can evade dying by simply detaching a material. In the process, he gains 800 attack. It's one thing attacking a Maestroke to try and get it's materials off because it's still gonna be a 1800/2300 xyz. If you try that shit with this even once it becomes as powerful as a Blue-Eyes and STILL has another chance to evade destruction. Glassjaw gets his effect activated by being detached from this as well. Normal Switchitter, special Glassjaw from grave, make Lead Yoke. Lead Yoke upon trying to be destroyed should detach the Switchitter FIRST and then on the next time detach Glassjaw so that Glassjaw can bring Switchitter back to your hand to repeat the process over again. If you don't use this in a Boxer deck you need to re-evaluate your life.

Run 3 rain or shine

Number 105: Battlin' Boxer Star Cestus
Rank 4, Fire, Warrior, 2500/1600
3 Level 4 monsters
During either player's Battle Step, if a "Battlin' Boxer" monster you control battles an opponent's monster: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; negate the effects of the opponent's monster until the end of the turn, that monster you control cannot be destroyed by that battle, also your opponent takes any battle damage you would have taken from that battle.

Don't run this unless you're using a Rank-up card. If you choose this over Lead Yoke when you don't have a Rank-up card you're doing something wrong

Run 0 normally (1-2 if you're doing rank-up style)

Number 79: Battlin' Boxer Nova Caesar
Rank 4, Fire, Warrior, 2300/1600
2 Level 4 monsters
Once per turn: You can attach 1 "Battlin' Boxer" monster from your hand or Graveyard to this card as Xyz Material.
This card gains 100 ATK for each Xyz Material attached to it.
When this card you control is destroyed by your opponent (either by battle or by card effect) and sent to your Graveyard: You can target any number of Level 4 or lower "Battlin' Boxer" monsters in your Graveyard, up to the number of Xyz Materials this card had on the field; Special Summon those targets.

Some people have mixed opinions about this card. On the good side, it doesn't specifically take Boxers as materials to summon and when it dies you can spam Boxers from your grave. On the bad side, that isn't that great. Yea you get to spam at least 2 materials most of the time that you could xyz into something like Lead Yoke or otherwise, but why wouldn't you just do that in the first place rather than summoning this? Getting this thing killed when your opponent is swarming isn't going to help either considering they'll just ram over your newly summoned Boxers. What good can come out of this, however, is that you can summon Glassjaw and get it killed for another Boxer to come to your hand. On a scale of 1-10 I'd give it a 4.

Run 0-1

Number c105: Battlin' Boxer Comet Cestus
Rank 5, Fire, Warrior, 2800/2000
4 Level 5 monsters
When this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard: Inflict damage to your opponent equal to half the destroyed monster's original ATK. If this card has "Number 105: Battlin' Boxer Star Cestus" as an Xyz Material, it gains this effect.
● Once per turn: You can detach 1 Xyz Material from this card, then target 1 monster your opponent controls; destroy it, and if you do, inflict damage to your opponent equal to the destroyed monster's ATK on the field.

This card should obviously only be used in a Rank-up style Boxer deck. If you do manage to get this thing out it's quite a good burn card. The problem is getting it out and keeping it alive for the impact with another monster. Could work great if you're going up against a high attack spammer deck like Blue-Eyes or Gishkis.

Run 0 normally, 1-2 in Rank-up variants

Spell cards

Battlin' Boxing Spirits
Normal spell card
Send the top card of your Deck to the Graveyard, then target 1 “Battlin’ Boxer” monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target in face-up Defense Position. You can only activate 1 “Battlin’ Boxing Spirits” per turn.

This is currently the only spell support for Boxers. Basically a Monster Reborn at the cost of milling one card. Glassjaw's effect will not activate through these means. I'd highly advise running this if you're running cards such as Breakthrough Skill, Mischief of the Yokai, or Blaster, Dragon Ruler of Infernos.

Run 1-2

Trap cards

Jolt Counter
Counter trap card
During the Battle Phase, when a Spell Card, Trap Card, or monster effect is activated while you control a "Battlin' Boxer" monster: Negate the activation, and if you do, destroy it.

Boxers didn't have any trap support till this and Last Counter came in Primal Origin. This one is my favorite of the two. This could be a great way of stopping troublesome cards such as Dimensional Prison or Compulsory that threaten Lead Yoke's existence on the field. I'm currently testing it and it seems to work well.

Run 1-2

Last Counter
Counter trap card
When an attack is declared involving a "Battlin' Boxer" monster you control and an opponent's monster: Negate that attack, and if you do, send your battling monster to the Graveyard, then 1 "Battlin' Boxer" monster you control gains ATK equal to the opponent's battling monster's original ATK, and if it does, you proceed to damage calculation between that monster and your opponent's battling monster. Then, take damage equal to the ATK gained by this card's effect.

First time I read this I had to reread it to make any fucking sense out of it. Basically say a Blue-Eyes is attacking your Headgeared and you have Lead Yoke on your side of the field as well. Basically it will kill your Headgeared, give Lead Yoke a 1k attack boost derived from Headgeared's base attack, and rams the newly boosted Lead Yoke into Blue-Eyes. Then you end up taking damage equal to the attack you gained on your Lead Yoke. The attack boost is permanent so I can't say it's all that bad. Depending on the attack you gained, it could very well be worth it. I'm iffy with it and would rather Jolt Counter myself or frankly just a Lance if I want to make a difference in a monster's attack. Hell even shrink would do good here .-.

Run 0-1.

That basically covers all of the Battlin' Boxer archtype cards. From there you can determine what you should/should not use in your deck. Here are a couple of tech and commonly used cards that I see many Boxer decks run.

Monster cards

Blaster, Dragon Ruler of Infernos
Level 7, Fire, Dragon, 2800/1800
If this card is in your hand or Graveyard: You can banish a total of 2 FIRE and/or Dragon-Type monsters from your hand and/or Graveyard, except this card; Special Summon this card. During your opponent's End Phase, if this card was Special Summoned: Return it to the hand. You can discard this card and 1 FIRE monster to the Graveyard, then target 1 card on the field; destroy that target. If this card is banished: You can add 1 FIRE Dragon-Type monster from your Deck to your hand. You can only use 1 "Blaster, Dragon Ruler of Infernos" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

Before Dragon Rulers were fucked in the January 2014 banlist, I used to run 2 in my own Boxer deck. Very versatile with the deck considering you can use this and another Boxer (preferably Counterpunch or a Boxer you can revive with Switchitter) to destroy a backrow or a good monster on your opponent's side of the field. Plus you can banish unusable Boxers from your grave to summon it for a 2800 attack beater. Very much useful.

Run 1 (for this format anyway. Run 2 if ever possible again)

Brushfire Knight
Level 4, Fire, Warrior, 1400/1200
When a FIRE monster is destroyed and sent to your Graveyard: Send 1 FIRE monster from your Deck to the Graveyard. When this card is destroyed and sent to the Graveyard: Send 1 FIRE monster from your Deck to the Graveyard. You can only use 1 "Brushfire Knight" effect per turn, and only once that turn.

I initially ran this card as a sort of fun card for the deck but it actually can be useful for dumping Glassjaw or Blaster. The problem with it I don't like is that it needs to die or a Fire monster on your side needs to die first. A little slow of an effect in my opinion, but I like him all the same.

Run 0-1 (2 if you really feel up to it)

Masked Chameleon
Level 4, Earth, Reptile, Tuner, 1600/1100
Cannot be Normal Summoned if you control a Level 5 or higher monster. When this card is Normal Summoned: You can target 1 monster with 0 DEF in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target in face-up Defense Position. Its effects are negated. You cannot Special Summon any other monsters, except from the Extra Deck, during the turn you activate this effect.

This card works great with the fact that Glassjaw can be sent to grave so much with Boxers. On top of being able to simply rank 4 xyz with it, you can also bust out level 8 synchros such as Stardust, Scrap Dragon, and Jeweled Red Dragon Archfiend. This is definitely a card worth trying in Boxers.

Run 0 if not using synchros, 1-2 if you are

Blue Flame Swordsman
Level 4, Fire, Warrior, 1800/1600
Once per turn, during either player's Battle Phase: You can target 1 other Warrior-Type monster you control; this card loses exactly 600 ATK, and if it does, that monster gains 600 ATK. When this card you control is destroyed by your opponent's card (either by battle or by card effect) and sent to your Graveyard: You can banish this card from your Graveyard, then target 1 FIRE Warrior-Type monster in your Graveyard; Special Summon that target.

This is more so a card that is for a fun Boxer deck. It's actually pretty consistent with the deck's theme. It can give a slight power boost and when it dies you can banish it to summon a Boxer from grave. Potentially a Glassjaw? It's worth a shot if you really like the card. I myself would rather run Brushfire Knight.

Run 0-1

Flamevell Firedog
Level 4, Fire, Beast, 1900/200
When this card destroys an opponent's monster by battle and sends it to the Graveyard: You can Special Summon 1 FIRE monster with 200 or less DEF from your Deck, except "Flamvell Firedog".

Some people run this as a means of searching Glassjaw from your deck and then xyzing into Maestroke. Glassjaw's effect will work when detached by Maestroke on it's evading destruction effect. I guess it's ok but I myself don't like it.

Run 0-2

Pyrorex the Elemental Lord
Level 8, Fire, Dinosaur, 2800/2200
Cannot be Normal Summoned/Set. Must be Special Summoned (from your hand) by having exactly 5 FIRE monsters in your Graveyard, and cannot be Special Summoned by other ways. When this card is Special Summoned: You can target 1 monster your opponent controls; destroy it, and if you do, both players take damage equal to half the original ATK of the destroyed monster. You can only use this effect of "Pyrorex the Elemental Lord" once per turn. If this card leaves the field, skip the Battle Phase of your next turn.

If you really want to try getting that many Boxers in your grave, good luck. I tried the same thing using the Wind version of this in Mist Valley and that sure was 'fun'. If you want a 2800 attack beater that can destroy a card, use Blaster.

Run 0.

Inferno
Level 4, Fire, Pyro, 1100/1900
This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. This card can only be Special Summoned by removing 1 FIRE monster in your Graveyard from play. When this card destroys your opponent's monster and sends it to the Graveyard as a result of battle, inflict 1500 points of damage to your opponent's Life Points.

I guess if you want a means of xyzing more rank 4s this could work. Don't plan on getting this things second effect to work unless you're gonna ram it into an Ojama.

Run 0.

Spell cards

Circle of the Fire Kings
Quick-play spell card
Target 1 FIRE monster you control and 1 FIRE monster in your Graveyard; destroy the first monster, and if you do, Special Summon the second monster from your Graveyard. You can only activate 1 "Circle of the Fire Kings" per turn.

I used to try to make this work a long time ago when I first made the deck. It's possible if you time it right that it could be used for a super onslaught of damage. I myself haven't had much luck with it. You're welcome to try it if you want though.

Run 0-1

Foolish Burial
Normal spell card
Send 1 monster from your Deck to the Graveyard.

Dumps Glassjaw, Blaster, or whatever else you need. Use it.

Run 1 (more if possible)

Reinforcement of the Army
Normal spell card
Add 1 Level 4 or lower Warrior-Type monster from your Deck to your hand.

WHY THE FUCK WOULDN'T YOU RUN THIS

Run 1 (throw like 10 more in your deck if your opponent isn't looking)

Magnum Shield
Equip spell card
Equip only to a Warrior-Type monster. Apply this effect, depending on its battle position.
● Attack Position: It gains ATK equal to its original DEF.
● Defense Position: It gains DEF equal to its original ATK.

Some people have mixed thought on this. I myself have never had good history with equip spells so I don't use it but in theory it's a decent card. Toss this on Yoke and you've got a 4200 attack beater. 5000 if you detach a material. Fuck you Five-Headed Dragon.

Run 0-1

The Warrior Returning Alive
Normal spell card
Target 1 Warrior-Type monster in your Graveyard; add that target to your hand.

Could work well if you have a Switchitter in your graveyard. I used to run them myself but I feel like my Battlin' Boxing Spirits help more. Spirits can't normal summon though which is where the fun is in their effects. Debatable card among many.

Run 0-2

Salamandra
Equip spell card
Equip only to a FIRE monster. It gains 700 ATK.

WHY ARE YOU EVEN READING THIS YOU DON'T GIVE BOXERS SWORDS WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU

Run 0

Trap cards

Spiritual Fire Art - Kurenai
Normal trap card
Tribute 1 FIRE monster; inflict damage to your opponent equal to that monster's original ATK.

I actually used to run this when I first made the deck. It's a neat card to experiment with. It's literally like a super powered cowboy finisher. While it won't do MASSIVE damage if Yoke has Magnum Shield or a power boost from it's own effect, that's still a 2200 slap to the face. Also nice for when they try to Compulsory it and you say "fuck you" and burn them for at least a quarter of their life points. I like the card, but I don't run it anymore due to it being outclassed by much better traps.

Run 0-2.

Copy Knight
Normal trap card
When a Level 4 or lower Warrior-Type monster is Normal Summoned to your side of the field: Special Summon this card as a Normal Monster with the same name and Level as the Normal Summoned monster (Warrior-Type/LIGHT/ATK 0/DEF 0). (This card is also still a Trap Card.)

Basically a way to get a Lead Yoke upon the summon of just one Boxer. This also can come in handy for Rank-up decks when you're trying to get 3 Boxers on the field for the initial xyz. Worth a shot if you like the idea. I used to run it myself and it has proven to be good, although using this along with Glassjaw won't be the same as Switchitter because when Glassjaw gets detached from Lead Yoke you won't get Copy Knight back to your hand ;~;

Run 0-1

That's about it. Anything I left out of here I figured is self-explanatory. I hope you guys use this guide well if you're thinking of making a Battlin' Boxer deck for yourself. I encourage it really. I was inspired to make this deck because my friend irl became a new rookie boxer to the world not too long ago and I have high respect for him for following his dreams. Whenever I play my Boxer deck I feel like I've got a bit of him in this deck. My love for using this deck won't fade and it will continue to always be my favorite. ... ok enough mushy friendship shit. Build yourself a Boxer deck already ._.

Enjoi and good luck deck building,

~Fluff Fluff
Back to top Go down

Battlin' Boxer deck guide

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Project Duel Academy :: General and Misc :: Miscellaneous Archive :: Off Topic-