Project Duel Academy
Please Join or Login!
Project Duel Academy
Please Join or Login!
Project Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Role Play Academy concerning a project to improve duelists.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

C.C.

Admin

Character Sheet
Name: C.C.
HP:
Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons Left_bar_bleue100/100Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)

Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons Empty
PostSubject: Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons   Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons EmptySat Sep 07, 2013 8:20 pm

Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons Screen+Shot+2011-09-30+at+1.31.48+AM

Inherent and Non Inherent

Which Summon is what?

This Article will be about something that a lot of people don't yet understand. It explains why cards cannot be used in a certain situation, and why other cards can. The situation this is going to be about, is the Summon of a Monster.

As we all know, Yu-Gi-Oh! has an excessive amount of Special Summon capabilities. Examples, are Summons by card effects, Xyz, Synchro, Fusion, or Ritual. Even though all of these Summons are considered Special Summons, there is something else that separates one type of Special Summon from the other type.

The two types of Special Summon are Inherent and Non Inherent. People who just started the game, or just came back, will hear this, and have no clue as to what they mean, and will just consider Special Summons as Special Summon, and be done with it. But there is a very distinct difference between those two. 

The point in this matter, and the rule where it all is based upon, is the fact that while a chain, action, or card effect is resolving, you cannot use any cards or effects, unless they say so (e.g. Bountiful Artemis). this is a very basic rule, and is usually forgotten by beginning players, but also by the more experienced ones. It's this rule that also causes cards to "Miss Timing".

So, how does that rule make a difference in a Summon Type? Well, as said just above, you cannot use any cards or effects while an action, chain, or effect is resolving. So, we have several different cases where a Monster can be Special Summoned. 

Inherent Summons

Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons Inherent+R

There is, what is called the "Inherent Summon", the Summon of monsters which just are Summoned, such as, Synchro Summon, Xyz Summon or some other cards, like "Cyber Dragon" or "Black Luster Soldier - The Envoy of the Beginning". They just need a condition to be fulfilled, then they can be Summoned. The example of "Cyber Dragon" is that it requires you to have no Monsters, and your opponent to have at least 1 Monster. This is called a "Summoning Condition".

Non Inherent Summons

Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons Effect+R

The Special Summons that are not Summoned like above mentioned, are considered "Non Inherent", as you might have guessed. What differs them, is that these are not just Summoned, but they are Summoned by an effect that activates. Examples for this are Fusion Summon and Ritual Summon. This means, that you have to activate a card or card effect, in order to Summon the intended Monster.

Now, the two Summons Inherent and Non Inherent are fairly explained, but what you might not yet know, is why you can use cards like "Black Horn of Heaven" or "Thunder King Rai-Oh" on Inherent Summons, but not on Non Inherent Summons.

I asked a friend to help me with giving some possible situations where you see the different Summons. 

Mechanic 1 - Image:

This is the first that'll be handled. It concerns the simple situation that you attack your opponent with a Monster, in this case "Thunder Kind Rai-Oh". After I took the Battle Damage, I use the effect of my "Gorz, the Emissary of Darkness" from my hand, and Special Summon it. This is an Effect that activates, here is the key to why you cannot use "Black Horn of Heaven". While Gorz's effect is resolving, and Summons itself to the field, it is still in the process of resolving a card effect. And at that given time, that you Summon him to the field, "Black Horn of Heaven" is trying to activate in order to negate that Summon. But, as already mentioned, you are not allowed to activate cards or card effects while a chain, action, or effect is resolving. Which, in this case, is Gorz's own effect. So, because he is still resolving, you cannot use "Black Horn of Heaven", because it would only negate the Summon.

Now you might wonder, why can't you just chain it on the effect of Gorz? Simple as it is, when Gorz activates, nothing is being Summoned. It is an effect that activates. Which now brings us to another card that is able to negate Summon, know to many. "Solemn Warning".

Mechanic 2 - Image:

In this case, instead of using "Black Horn of Heaven", I use my copy of "Solemn Warning". Like with Black Horn, using it at the time when the Monster is actually Summoned, isn't allowed, for the same reason. But, if you read Warning's card text, you see something that Black Horn doesn't say. This:

Code:
[center][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When a monster would be Summoned, OR when a Spell Card, Trap Card, or monster effect is activated that includes an effect that Special Summons a monster(s): Pay 2000 Life Points; negate the Summon or activation, and if you do, destroy that card.[/font][/center]
[center][/center]
This allows Warning to chain on the effect of Gorz, which would Summon himself. Warning will resolve as Chain Link 2, and negate Gorz's activation and destroy it. The fact is, Warning can not only negate the Summon itself, but also cards that activate in order to Summon a Monster, such as "Monster Reborn" or "Abyss-sphere". Since Black Horn or Rai-Oh don't have that in their card text, they are unable to do the same.

Now, you probably think that Rai-Oh and Black Horn are total trash, and not worth running in any deck. But they can still hit enough cards.

Mechanic 3 - Image:

Xyz Summons have no chance against them, not against Black Horn, and not against Warning.

Mechanic 4 - Image:

So, as you can see, there is a lot to say about the difference in Inherent Summons and Non Inherent Summons. But, how do you know when a Monsters Summon is Inherent or not? Well, you can always read the text and see if you can figure it out on your own, which most people tend to do. But, in case you are uncertain, you can just look it up here:

Type in the name of the card you need to check, for example, Cyber Dragon. Click the card that you intend to look for, then scroll down a bit, until you see the following:

Spoiler:

If it says "Summon", it means that it is Inherent. If it says otherwise, for example "Ignition" or "Trigger" then it is a card effect that would Summon something.

Important note: A Summon by a Spell/Trap Card is always considered to be Non Inherent.

The Lesson will be attached by Pride, which will all be about this topic.

C.C.
Back to top Go down

The Doctor

Leona

Character Sheet
Name: Jimmy Wheeler
HP:
Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons Left_bar_bleue100/100Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons   Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons EmptySat Sep 07, 2013 9:54 pm

C.C. Nice lesson. Learned a lot from it.
Back to top Go down

C.C.

Admin

Character Sheet
Name: C.C.
HP:

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons   Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 12:20 am

Thanks. That's good to hear, I'm glad people do learn from all this. Makes me feel like I'm not writing my ass off for nothing ^-^
Back to top Go down

Potato

Lucian

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons   Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 2:06 am

One of the best lessons yet, people needa learn dis.
Back to top Go down

rakhalix

Leona

Character Sheet
Name: Rakha
HP:

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons   Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 5:03 am

Nice Lesson! Very Happy.
Back to top Go down

Exraven

Lucian

Character Sheet
Name:
HP:

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons   Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 11:04 am

Good lesson sir.
Back to top Go down

Pride

Character Sheet
Name:
HP:
Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons Left_bar_bleue0/0Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)
PostSubject: Re: Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons   Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons EmptyTue Sep 10, 2013 11:41 pm

We'll make the assignment this week this:

Find a combo of both Inheret and NonInherent summons and make a play out of them.

EX:  I special summon Cyber Dragon (Inheret) and then use MR to revive Chronomaly Moai from the grave (NonInherent)  Then just XYZ summon for Adreus Keeper of Armageddon (Inheret)

The more original the posts, the more the points.  (All Auto 200).
Back to top Go down

Hagiicaul

Leona

Character Sheet
Name:
HP:
PostSubject: Re: Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons   Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons EmptyWed Sep 11, 2013 6:12 am

Key:
(NI) = Not Inherent
(I) = Inherent

I have 6 cards in hand, 3 cards in the graveyard (Lumina, Lightsworn Summoner and 2 Mezukis) I Normal Summon Lumina and use her effect to Ditch a Lumina to SS a Lumina(NI)(. I then use the New Lumina's effect to ditch a Jain, Lightsworn Paladin to SS another Lumina(NI). I then Ditch Plague speader Zombie to SS Jain and then use the effect of Mezuki to SS Plaguespeader Zombie (NI). I then syncro with plague and Jain to make a HTS polymath (I) (however it's spelled). I then activate plagues effect to put a card on the top of my deck to SS him (I) I then Syncro 8 for Crimson Blader (I). I then overlay 2 luminas to make Leviair the Sea Dragon (I). I then Ditch one XYZ material to bring back plaguespeader zombie (NI) Syncro 5 for Ally of Justice Catastor. I then play monster reborn to reborn HTS polymath (NI) and then I activate Plague's effect to put my last card on the top of the deck to SS Plague (I) And syncro 8 for Stardust Dragon (I)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons   Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons EmptyWed Sep 11, 2013 7:10 pm

So i have in hand:Cyber dragon,Eclipse wyvern,Red-eyes darkness metal dragon and wattaildragon
             in grave:Lighpulsar dragon,tour guide from the underworld and Ryko the lighsworm hunter.

I start off by Special summoning Cyber dragon (guessing of course that my opp has a monster) then i normal summon Eclipse wyvern which i ban to summon Red-eyes darkness metal dragon then i use Lightpulsar dragon effect to summon himself (banishing Ryko and tourguide) then i use Red-eyes darkness metal dragon effect to summon wattaildragon from hand then i xyz lighpulsar and wattail dragon to summon Atum then i use his effect to summon darkflare dragon from deck and then i xyz him with cyber to summon Shark fortress.
Back to top Go down

!abecoleman

Leona

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons   Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 4:13 am

Banish Chaos Sorceror and Lughtray Diabolos for BLS (Inherent) then use monster reborn on Blue Eyes (Non Inherent) (WTF KINDA DECK IS THIS?) Overlay for Gimmick Puppet String guy Razz and use effect on an opponents 5 mosnters then stall for two turns for a very awkward duel. o.o
Back to top Go down

MajinKev84

Zed

Character Sheet
Name:
HP:
PostSubject: Re: Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons   Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 9:19 pm

ok  heres my go .....send lavals from deck to grave with molten ... play rekindling 5 ..non inherient ...sych to  lev 5 monster ...inherient.... sych to another level 5 monster... inherent.... summon laval cannon effect to special a banished laval..non inherent... Overlay cannon and canoneer ... inherent..  ...ATACK FOR GAME  GG lol
Back to top Go down

The Doctor

Leona

Character Sheet
HP:

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons   Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 9:27 pm

1 Divine Wind of Mist Valley on the field and one in hand.
1 Harpie Dancer, 1 Mist Codor and 1 Mist valley Shaman in hand. I had 1 set Icarus Attack from the previous turn.
I summon Harpie Dancer in face-up attack position, then i activate her effect to return herself to hand. Then i activate Divine Wind of Mist Valley (Non-Inherent) to summon Mist Valley thinderbird To attack position. Then i activate another Divine Wind of Mist Valley. Then I Special summon Mist Condor from hand (Inherent) getting thunderbird to hand.then thunderbird gets Special summoned (Inherent) and I special summon Mist valley Falcon with Divine Wind of Mist Valley (Non-inherent). Then additional normal summon Mist valley Shaman from Harpie Dancer.
Then i activate Icarus attack (Tributing condor) to destroy opponent back row. And attack my opponent with a barrage of attacks.
Then latter synchro summon some lvl 6, or 7 synchro or rank 3 xyz like zenmaines. (Inherent)
Back to top Go down

galaxystorm7

Lucian

Character Sheet
Name: Galaxy Red Dragon Tamer
HP:
Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons Left_bar_bleue150/150Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons Empty_bar_bleue  (150/150)

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons   Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 1:06 am

sweet great help to my decks 

thanks
Back to top Go down

Marik Ishtar

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons   Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 5:03 pm

Ok, lets get this going then. 

Flip Summon Evoltile Westlo, special summon Evolsaur Vulcano in attack mode, use vulcano's effect, special summon Evolsaur Cerato in attack mode from grave. Overlay Cerato and Vulcano, special summon Evolzar Laggia in attack mode from Extra. normal Summon Evoltile Najasho in attack mode. Activate Evo-Force, tribute Evoltile Najasho, special summon evolsaur Elias in def mode, use Najasho's effect, special summon Evolsaur Darwino in attack mode from deck. Use Elias effect, special summon Evolsaur Terias in attack mode from hand. Activate Darwino's effect, target Westlo, up its level from 3 to 5. overlay Westlo and Darwino. Special Summon Vulcasaurus from extra deck. Overlay terias and elias to special summon Evolzar Solda in attack mode. Activate monster reborn, special summon Najasho in attack mode. Activate face down, Evo-Instant. Tribute Najasho, special summon Evolsaur Diplo in attack mode, activate Najasho's effect, special summon Either Cerato or Diplo in attack mode. Use Diplo's effect (x2 if summoned 2) destroy an opponents spell/trap card (if any) overlay Cerato and Diplo. Special summon Evolzar Dollka in attack mode. Use Vulcasaures eff (if any target, if not, proceed to battle phase) 

Total of 9800 Battle Damage.
Back to top Go down

The Doctor

Leona

Character Sheet
HP:

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons   Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 9:32 pm

I think the point of the assignment is to say when the summon is Inherent and when Non-inherent.
Some of you people just wrote a combo.
Back to top Go down

Project Lead Scientist

Founder

Character Sheet
Name:
HP:
PostSubject: Re: Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons   Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 7:16 pm

Ok, Lessons evaluated:

Hagiicaul: 150 OD.
Ice Warrior.: 0 OD [Didn't say which were inherent and which weren't]
!abecoleman: 100 OD.
MajinKev84: 130 OD.
The Doctor: 90 OD. [Mist Valley Thunderbird is Non Inherent. You put it up as Inherent]
Marik Ishtar: 0 OD. [Same reason as with Ice Warrior.]

Ok, thank you for your work, everyone. I'll give you the points. Wait for the next Lesson, it'll be done by JasonRy8.
Back to top Go down
https://projectduelforums.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons   Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 7:49 pm

Assingment said that everybody automaticly get 200 and it didn't say we have to say which were inhernent and which were not.
Back to top Go down

Marik Ishtar

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons   Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 8:06 pm

I agree. If I would have known that, I could have easily added it. Need to be specific on it.
Back to top Go down

Project Lead Scientist

Founder

Character Sheet
Name:
HP:
PostSubject: Re: Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons   Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 8:45 pm

Pride wrote:
EX: I special summon Cyber Dragon (Inheret) and then use MR to revive Chronomaly Moai from the grave (NonInherent) Then just XYZ summon for Adreus Keeper of Armageddon (Inheret)
As you can see, he even gave you an example.

Also, it
s been agreed upon by all Professors, that the standard goes to 100. But if you're not doing what's being asked.
Back to top Go down
https://projectduelforums.forumotion.com

-Kira-

Leona

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons   Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons EmptySun Sep 22, 2013 8:51 pm

One card in hand monster reborn special summon stratos Non Inherent 

search for bubble man special summon using eff Inherent
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons   Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons Empty

Back to top Go down

Lesson 13: Inherent and Non Inherent Summons

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1