Project Duel Academy
Please Join or Login!
Project Duel Academy
Please Join or Login!
Project Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Role Play Academy concerning a project to improve duelists.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

JasonRy8

Zed

Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?  Empty
PostSubject: Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?    Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?  EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 5:56 am

Hey guys, Jason here. Here's a common problem I've been seeing around players, understanding between costs and effects. The basic rule to this is, costs must be paid before the effect can be activated. This example will be on one of my favorite cards, Card Trooper. 

Once per turn: You can choose a number from 1 to 3, then send that many cards from the top of your Deck to the Graveyard; this card gains 500 ATK for each card sent to the Graveyard this way, until the End Phase. When this card you control is destroyed and sent to your Graveyard: Draw 1 card.

This is easiest done with PSCT. Under PSCT, the cost is between the Colon and semi-colon or another case could be, Charge of the Light Brigade. 

Send the top 3 cards of your Deck to the Graveyard; add 1 Level 4 or lower "Lightswornmonster from your Deck to your hand.

In this case, the cost of the card is before the semi-colon. But most cards will have their cost under these 2 variations if they have new card text. 

An example from older card text would be the Fabled series of cards. Drawing on Fabled Kushano as an example:
You can discard 1 "Fabledmonster to the Graveyard except "Fabled Kushano" to add this card from your Graveyard to your hand.

Notice the to in the old text, this indicates that anything before the to is a cost to the effect. 

So your assignment for this week? Find a card. But that card cannot any of which I've listed. (No trooper, Charge or any Fabled card) The card will be 50-100 OD. With that card choice, the more versatile the cost under most condition, it can reward you up to 200 OD. So good luck, Smile Jason out! Lets rock and fly!

Last edited by JasonRy8 on Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Droite

Lucian

Character Sheet
Name: Sorento
HP:
Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?  Left_bar_bleue100/100Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?  Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?    Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?  EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 5:57 am

Yes I know mah costs! Something's are more expensive than others and some things are cheaper!  Now test me JASON!
Back to top Go down

JasonRy8

Zed

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?    Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?  EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 5:58 am

Hon, you need a proper answer first, -.-
Back to top Go down

Droite

Lucian

Character Sheet
HP:
Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?  Left_bar_bleue100/100Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?  Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?    Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?  EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 6:08 am

Uhm.. Solemn Judgment!
Back to top Go down

JasonRy8

Zed

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?    Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?  EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 6:11 am

fine, 100 total for that. I'll be testing you tomorrow, Smile
Back to top Go down

Droite

Lucian

Character Sheet
HP:

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?    Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?  EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 6:12 am

No you test me now.
Back to top Go down

IxKingofKingsxI

Leona

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?    Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?  EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 8:25 am

seven tools of the bandit. cost is 1000 lp's to negate the activation of a trap card. if negated the cost of 1000 lps is still paid.
Back to top Go down

NeoNexudus

Leona

Character Sheet
Name: Neo
HP:

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?    Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?  EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 10:07 am

Solemn Warning has a cost where you must pay 2000 LP's as a cost to activate the card's effect, regardless of whether its effect is negated by say Dark Bribe, Seven Tools of the Bandit or even Solemn Judgement itself. Also if you have less than 2000 LP's e.g. 1500 you cannot activate the card because you need 2000 LP's to pay the cost. Also being a cost means that it is not classed as Effect Damage and you cannot stop the LP loss though cards like Ring of Defence nor can you reflect it back to your opponent with cards like Barrel Behind the Door.
Back to top Go down

Kyonaru

Zed

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?    Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?  EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 12:23 pm

Solemn Judgment... negate anything (except effects) at any time by paying half of your LP. You're down to 50 LP? No problem, you can use Judgment anyway.

Either way, about the main article, I think you should explain Summoning Procedures (since those technically have "costs" too) and certain effects with apparent costs that aren't... costs (e.g. Miracle Fusion, the 2nd part of Super Polymerization's effect, Light and Darkness Dragon, etc).
Just my 2 bucks though.
Back to top Go down

Scapegoatuser

Lucian

Character Sheet
Name: Scapey
HP:

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?    Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?  EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 3:04 pm

one of the defining cost cards for me would be Pheonix Wing Wind Blast the Discard one card Cost can be used well to work with fabled monsters effect whilst also effectively setting your opponent back a turn by placing one card on the top of their deck.
Back to top Go down

pureblade

Leona

Character Sheet
Name:
HP:
PostSubject: Re: Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?    Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?  EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 4:38 pm

One of the card I use frequently that would fit under cost is Stronghold Guardian. If a defense position monster's being attacked you can discard it to the graveyard to have that monster gain 1500 def. points.
Back to top Go down

Phoenixofpain

Leona

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?    Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?  EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 4:50 pm

Even though i don't like picking staples for assignments i sort of think monster reborn has one of the most flexible costs of any card ( by flexible i mean can be used at almost any time with a a very small draw back ). All you have to do is target the monster you want to special summon. Thats the cost of monster reborn and seeing as any deck can run the card, it can be used at practically any point of the game, and the fact that it can instantly turn a situation you would normally lose into a situation for you to win or even the playing field.
Back to top Go down

Kyonaru

Zed

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?    Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?  EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 6:41 pm

Phoenixofpain wrote:
Even though i don't like picking staples for assignments i sort of think monster reborn has one of the most flexible costs of any card ( by flexible i mean can be used at almost any time with a a very small draw back ). All you have to do is target the monster you want to special summon. Thats the cost of monster reborn and seeing as any deck can run the card, it can be used at practically any point of the game, and the fact that it can instantly turn a situation you would normally lose into a situation for you to win or even the playing field.
 Targeting is not a cost, it just happens at the same time.
Back to top Go down

xHybridHeartsx

Leona

Character Sheet
Name:
HP:
PostSubject: Re: Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?    Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?  EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 6:47 pm

return from different dimension giving up hlf your life points but you get to summon mny bnished monsters for one finl go
Back to top Go down

Exraven

Lucian

Character Sheet
Name:
HP:

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?    Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?  EmptyTue Aug 13, 2013 7:13 pm

GaGaGa Guardian: You can discard one card from your hand;This card can not be destroyed by battle this turn.
Back to top Go down

Zeno

Character Sheet
Name:
HP:

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?    Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?  EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 1:30 am

Arcana Force XXI- The World

By tributing 2 monsters you can skip your opponents turn.
Back to top Go down

Phoenixofpain

Leona

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?    Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?  EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 5:14 am

My bad Kyo, My mistake. Instead i'll use the other card i had. Lightning Vortex. Discard a card and destroy all face up monsters your opponent controls. You almost always have at least 1 other card in your hand so you can almost always activate it anytime your turn ( while still out classed by dark hole still has use in other decks or if you prefer not to lose your field ).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?    Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?  EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 5:19 am

This is a little on the simple side.

Monster Reincarnation
"Discard 1 card: Target 1 Monster in your Graveyard, add that target to your hand."
Back to top Go down

Blazer Slater

Lucian

Character Sheet
Name:
HP:
PostSubject: Re: Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?    Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?  EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 5:39 am

First part of the assignment find a card with a cost. A lot run through my head so I think I'll cover two of them.
One being Obelisk the Tormentor and Double Spell.

First, Obelisk. His card states: Requires 3 Tributes to Normal Summon (cannot be Normal Set.) This card's Normal Summon cannot be negated. When Normal Summoned cards and effects cannot be activated. Cannot be targeted by Spells, Traps, or card effects. During the End Phase, if this card was Special Summoned: Send it to the Graveyard. You can Tribute 2 monsters, destroy all monsters your opponent controls. This card cannot declare an attack the turn this effect is activated.

As his effect states, you can tribute two monsters. That's a cost to destroy things.

Second, Double Spell. It states: Discard 1 Spell Card, then target 1 Spell Card in your opponent's Graveyard; as this card's effect resolution, follow the target's card text as if you had use it yourself.

You're paying with a spell card to help yourself. Now giving up a useless spell card at the time to get you that Monster Reborn that's sitting in your opponent's graveyard. Yeah, not a bad price if you ask me.
Back to top Go down

Droite

Lucian

Character Sheet
HP:

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?    Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?  EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 6:25 am

Blazer, you're amazing..
Back to top Go down

Mebmunay

Leona

Character Sheet
Name: Dan
HP:
Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?  Left_bar_bleue10000/10000Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?  Empty_bar_bleue  (10000/10000)

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?    Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?  EmptyWed Aug 14, 2013 8:47 pm

-"Dark Bribe": It isn't a cost to have your opponent draw one card.

-"Evilswarm Kerykeion": It's a cost to banish an Evilswarm monster from your graveyard, in order to add another Evilswarm monster from your graveyard to your hand.

-"Trade-In": It's a cost to discard a level eight monster, to draw two cards.

-"Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of The Beginning": It's a summon condition, to banish one light, and one dark monster from your graveyard, in order to special summon this monster. The banishing of both of these monsters, is considered a cost.
Back to top Go down

chiefzackery

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?    Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?  EmptySat Aug 17, 2013 5:57 pm

Super poly got to discard 1 card
mind drain pay 1000 lp
Back to top Go down

rakhalix

Leona

Character Sheet
Name: Rakha
HP:

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?    Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?  EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 5:44 am

Royal magical library = by removing 3 spell counters we can draw 1 card.
Galaxy - Eyes Photon Dragon(Im not sure if this right) = Photon dragon can be special summon by tributing 2 monster in the field that has 2000 or more attack.
Back to top Go down

Nottu

Lucian

Character Sheet
Name: Herenyonen
HP:
Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?  Left_bar_bleue84/84Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?  Empty_bar_bleue  (84/84)

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?    Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?  EmptySun Aug 18, 2013 12:55 pm

Lesson closed. Jason, please inform me of who got these right.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?    Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Lesson 9: Do You Know Your Costs?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Project Duel Academy :: General and Misc :: Miscellaneous Archive :: Off Topic-