Project Duel Academy
Please Join or Login!
Project Duel Academy
Please Join or Login!
Project Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Role Play Academy concerning a project to improve duelists.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Vent's Q&A About Role Play

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

Ventriloquist

Zed

Character Sheet
Name:
HP:
Vent's Q&A About Role Play Left_bar_bleue100/100Vent's Q&A About Role Play Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)
Vent's Q&A About Role Play Empty
PostSubject: Vent's Q&A About Role Play   Vent's Q&A About Role Play EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 12:32 am

Hello and Welcome!

Hey, names Vent! I'm attempting to actually get the RP section up and kicking, as it's generally lacked a HUGE amount of detail . Rules, and section like this is something I've felt it needed for some time. I say this from a now going on 12 year experience with almost DAILY Online RP activity. On some site or the other that is.

But enough with the long winded speeches. This section is about YOU GUYS! I am simply offering you the chance to ask me ANYTHING about RP! Please keep this spam free, if you spam I withhold the right to delete your post. But don't be afraid to ask, or state anything. If you feel like i missed something, or you don't understand something about RP. OR if you just wana chat and discuss things this is the center for you. Ask away and I'll do my best to answer you guys! Take care, keep it clean and looking forward to your questions ^.^
Back to top Go down
http://Chatango.com - Ventriloquist

Superion Maximus

Leona

Character Sheet
Name: Superion
HP:
Vent's Q&A About Role Play Left_bar_bleue1000/1000Vent's Q&A About Role Play Empty_bar_bleue  (1000/1000)

PostSubject: Re: Vent's Q&A About Role Play   Vent's Q&A About Role Play EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 1:44 am

yes i have a question : In the few rps ive been in, nearly evertime im making a post around 2 or 3 new short posts will appear completly changing the situation. Is there anywhere to avoid this in bigger rp's
Back to top Go down

Ventriloquist

Zed

Character Sheet
Name:
HP:
Vent's Q&A About Role Play Left_bar_bleue100/100Vent's Q&A About Role Play Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)
PostSubject: Re: Vent's Q&A About Role Play   Vent's Q&A About Role Play EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 1:56 am

OK super, I'm assuming you mean that while your writing a fairly lengthy post, 1-3 other people write a sentence or something and say they punch you, etc where your post you'd BEEN writing had not counted for this new person hitting you. Screwing up the timeline.

Question: How do I prevent people from posting before I'm ready for them to?

Answer: In most RP, assuming the GM knows what he is doing. There should ALWAYS be a postijng order. While the GM still has COMPLETE say over the RP (GM being the person who STARTED the RP) and can manipulate the posting order if need be. This is the general rule:

Posting order begins with the first person to post, and each new comer to the RP takes their place in line, descending from the GM. Meaning, though you can jump into an RP at any time; you will fall to the back of the line AFTER that post. Meaning before you can post again you are supposed to WAIT for every single other person to get their post in. At which point, they will then be waiting on you ^.^

Hope that answers your question Max, and in case you still have concerns feel free to comment on my response, and elaborate on what else you'd like me to detail. Now, of course DO keep in mind people CAN jump in and sometimes interrupt posting order if they are NOT already in the line. Say if your writing a post, you know its your turn but a new person decides to join WHILE your writing. This new person does not belong to the posting order yet, and is indeed allowed to post their introduction whenever they please. AS a general rule, when posting an introductions its BEST to keep it mild, that way your post is easy to work around and doesn't mess things up. However, it happens to the best of us from time to time and you just have to edit your post. I usually, if it happens to me, make like a sentence change referencing the appearance or action of the new guy and try to edit the post i worked hard on as little as possible.

O_O Forry for dragging this on.

Lastly, in some cases RP can be Private. This is done by making the title of the RP as such.

"A Friendly Discussion[Private Vent&Maximus]"

Or you can make it invite only, meaning for someone to jump in they have to PM the GM by doing this.

"A Friendly Discussion[Invite Only]"

Anyway sorry again for the lengthy answer, hope that helps though and keep in mind here at ODA myself as well as other RP experienced staff such as Nottu could generally help you if someone DOES post out of order and mess things up, and we would allow your post to take priority, and possibly save the other person's post, pm it it back to them and ask them to edit theirs and post after you. IN THE CASE they posted out of order only. IF they joined before you could finish your post, which is a rare, but possible occurrence. It's on you to edit around it. ^.^
Back to top Go down

Superion Maximus

Leona

Character Sheet
HP:
Vent's Q&A About Role Play Left_bar_bleue1000/1000Vent's Q&A About Role Play Empty_bar_bleue  (1000/1000)

PostSubject: Re: Vent's Q&A About Role Play   Vent's Q&A About Role Play EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 2:06 am

the first part of your response does address my question , i assume there will be measures for inactivaty . Thanks for the quick response and i dont mind lengthy posts. I love to read
Back to top Go down

Ventriloquist

Zed

Character Sheet
Name:
HP:
PostSubject: Re: Vent's Q&A About Role Play   Vent's Q&A About Role Play EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 2:15 am

Yes, there is always, or again SHOULD always be a time limit on posting. Depending on the wishes of the players really but in general its a rule.

Question: What sort of measures prevent a player from just going inactive for a week, and holding up an RP for days, weeks, months at a time because he/she is holding up the posting order?

Answer: Time Limit. I've seen anything from 24 hours to 7 days. I've NEVER seen anything longer than seven days on any sort of serious RP and the norm seems to be 48 hours. Meaning, if a player does not respond for 48 hours 1 of two situations will be implemented.

1: They will be disqualified from the RP, but are of course free to join other RPs, that are going on at the time, or join the next one hosted by that same GM.

2: They can remain in the RP, but it is allowed that a person may skip them in the posting order. The consequences of such may include the inactive person being multi attacked or just simply left standing in an area while the rest of the group moves on without them. Who knows.

But yea, basically, there should always be a time limit.

^.^ thanks for asking questions Max Very Happy I hope others ask questions as well, or you keep this up XD.
Back to top Go down

Superion Maximus

Leona

Character Sheet
HP:

PostSubject: Re: Vent's Q&A About Role Play   Vent's Q&A About Role Play EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 2:32 am

i would like to keep asking questions but for now i can only think of one more . Whats rps do you have planned so far
Back to top Go down

Evil

Leona

PostSubject: Re: Vent's Q&A About Role Play   Vent's Q&A About Role Play EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 2:32 am

I have a question and although I know how to do this (as much as I CAN know that is, obscure conditions can get VERY hard to diagnose, and I am far less than an expert on the subject), it should be explicitly stated somewhere, especially here at ODA where there are very few experienced roleplayers.

How does one identify Godmod and Metagaming in obscure conditions? We can always identify obvious ones, it's the ones that can be argued either way that we need to worry about.

(This should give you a fair bit of typing XD)
Back to top Go down

Ventriloquist

Zed

Character Sheet
Name:
HP:
PostSubject: Re: Vent's Q&A About Role Play   Vent's Q&A About Role Play EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 8:07 pm

@Maximus

Question: Vent, what kind of upcoming RPs do you have planned?

Answer: The easy answer is LOTS! I must honestly say one of my ultimate hopes is to revive AMA... but that's going to be a while down the road. As for the immediate future I plan on working with the staff to possibly come up with something duel related. It will most likely be fairly simple, but engaging. I want it to be fast paced and interesting but I'll keep the rules and skill level (or writing) fairly lax so that anyone can join in and have a blast. Hopefully if the other staff agrees, prizes will be given not only to winners but to other participants as well.

After that, on my own, I will most likely host a few general RP ideas I've wanted to try. One is something I did years back on another site called "The Quest For The Skull Katanas." Basically its a giant maze RP. But its a lot more complicated than that. The rules again will be simple and not to strict though. So in short I plan to host just a few RPs, at what I personally would call a "Beginner" level of difficulty to see where the site as a whole stands right now in terms of skill ^.^

@Evil

Question: How does one identify Godmod and Metagaming in obscure conditions?

Answer: Actually! The answer is a lot more simple than I assume you think. Preferably, there ARE no obscure conditions. If the rules are set well enough then you either break them, or you don't break them. Things like teleportation, knowing your opponents weakness before you even begin to fight, Omnipotence and such are examples of meta gaming and Godmod.

Metagaming, is a term that implies an RP uses outside information and gives it to their character. That is, your character, such as my character from AMA "Kyle" does not know everything I, Ventriloquist know. If i was to read someones character sheet, see they had a weakness to lets say thunder magic. Then have Kyle meet that character for the first time, in the RP and immediately cast thunder magic having Kyle KNOW it was a weakness, that's metagaming. It's illegal, and yes it can be hard to detect at times. I'll touch on that in a moment.

Godmod, is simply making your character "God-Like." Unlimited energy source. Unlimited strength. Unlimited or impenetrable defense. Saying thing like "I release an attack that cannot be dodged, blocked, or deflected" Or "My defense is completely impenetrable." are examples of Godmod. Character should have limits, so dropping nuke blast attacks from your pinky is not allowed in RP, generally speaking.

Now, as far as obscure conditions go, I have this to say. In some cases a "Boss," may be given Godmod like abilities. A boss being lets say I make an RP where we fight Satan, lord of demons. It is entirely possible for me, or whomever i choose to control the character Satan to release attacks that instantly end a conflict, and render the opposing players defeated, without question.Why? For story. Bosses with such powers MUST have an expiration date. Meaning that though you can challenge them before that time, they would be deemed undefeatable because its not time for the boss to be defeated yet, because the story has not reached that point. Think of this as "Plot Armor." Or course, the player whom is given permission to USE Satan would be expected to follow certain rules as well and not just wander around like a noob blasting everyone in the RP, killing all the heroes and likewise ruining the story.

OK so last touch on this. What happens if you suspect someone of cheating, godmodding, or metagaming. But either you cannot prove it, or they deny it. Well, call in a ref! Here at ODA, I myself have mod powers over the RP section, and consider myself a worthy judge for any RP. If you think someone messed up, ask me to review their post and I will. I wont just auto delete, ill allow the person in subject to explain themselves, or edit their post if its a cheat. There are others 2, you can contact the GM, or any other mod whom you believe has knowledge of RP. Because a general rule in ALL rp is that each and every particiapant has the right to ask a third person party to review the RP. Also, there is normally an AGREED upon judge between whatever amount of parties are participating in the event/RP.

So all in all, read up, and know what metagaming/godmod is on a specific basis. Your question was how to identify. The better you know the rules, the more you will be able to recognize them being broken. Soon, and when i say soon i mean sometime this week, the next couple days I will have a detailed section explaining Godmod and meta gaming so you could start there. And then, if you feel personally someone is cheating you, just ask for a review from someone with better familiarity to the rules than yourself. In the end, its that simple ^.^

Hope that cleared it up.
Back to top Go down

Superion Maximus

Leona

Character Sheet
HP:

PostSubject: Re: Vent's Q&A About Role Play   Vent's Q&A About Role Play EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 8:37 pm

but what if i want to shoot nuke blasts out of my pinkie can it be done with enough writing
Back to top Go down

Ventriloquist

Zed

Character Sheet
Name:
HP:
PostSubject: Re: Vent's Q&A About Role Play   Vent's Q&A About Role Play EmptyMon Feb 24, 2014 9:07 pm

No Max, well I mean to say no you cannot Godmod even if your an extremely capable RPer. Godmod is illegal in RP, doing so will get you DQed, force you to rewrite your post, or simply have your post deleted.

However, again shooting a nuke isn't necessarily a Godmod. Being able to spam nukes with no draw back is however. You have to understand a nuke bomb of today's time generates more heat than the surface fot eh sun. TO have that much energy would be unimaginable for a character. Without very very very specific reasons, charging and draw backs it would be illegal. Its not that your shoooting such and such from such and such area. Its that you can spam OTK attacks with no draw back. And that, is Godmod. ^.^
Back to top Go down

Superion Maximus

Leona

Character Sheet
HP:

PostSubject: Re: Vent's Q&A About Role Play   Vent's Q&A About Role Play EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 6:49 pm

my question about t1 is what happens when somone lands a non lethal blow do they win
Back to top Go down

Ventriloquist

Zed

Character Sheet
Name:
HP:
PostSubject: Re: Vent's Q&A About Role Play   Vent's Q&A About Role Play EmptySat Mar 01, 2014 7:44 am

Superion Maximus wrote:
my question about t1 is what happens when someone lands a non lethal blow do they win

Answer: As a very vague general rule, in texture combat RP you should follow this rule of thumb. "Te first person to land a successful hit, will win." However, there are exceptions. The reason for this mind set is because even in RPs with only moderate powers once I land a hit i'm going to write it in such a way it causes the maximum amount of damage to you as possible. Also, on a competitive level most people are TRYING to hit with lethal force, every time. That's why we say that. Don't expect your opponent to EVER show any mercy, so you must always try to avoid getting hit, while making the most of your own attacks.

But! In some cases you might state in the rules not Death Match. IN this case, concussive knock out force might be attempted to ensure victory, or some sort of binding move. Like wise, just because you even hit me with your ultimate attack, doesn't mean i CAN'T escape it. Just simply means that if you and I are relatively of the same skill both IC as well as OOC (in character out of character) in terms of writing skill, and character powers. Again its best just not to take an attack to the chest.

Um, so no. Although its something every tends to IMAGINE and play by. There is NO rule stating specifically "If i hit you I win." not at all. RP is constructive and diverse. There is ALWAYS a way out, that's another rule of thumb. In the end, again, its all about fun and respect. If you imagine the others guy character seems to have the upper hand, and he gets you in a corner and launches an attack that you would need to game break or pull some crazy crap that if this were an anime, you would not be having that character do. Take the hit, take the loss, and rematch the guy next week. Haha.

In the very end, to be perfectly honest. No one can really FORCE you to lose. This is what makes Texture/Online RP someone controversial and based on a system of merit. IN the end, and by a general and basic fundamental rule that the opposing player CANNOT CONTROL or FORCE your player into ANYTHING (Unless its a judge, or a GM) then you have full control over how your character ends a fight. Weather it be guns blazing in a blaze of glory, or in some climactic defeat scene. That, is entirely up to you.
Back to top Go down

Superion Maximus

Leona

Character Sheet
HP:

PostSubject: Re: Vent's Q&A About Role Play   Vent's Q&A About Role Play EmptySat Mar 08, 2014 2:08 pm

i just remebered a question i thought of the other day.

do any of these RP's make use of the character sheet
Back to top Go down

Ventriloquist

Zed

Character Sheet
Name:
HP:
PostSubject: Re: Vent's Q&A About Role Play   Vent's Q&A About Role Play EmptySat Mar 08, 2014 2:34 pm

Superion Maximus wrote:
i just remebered a question i thought of the other day.

do any of these RP's make use of the character sheet

Easy question to answer.

Again, it's up to the person hosting the RP (The GM) but if it's my RP yea we will be using character sheets. Because otherwise you can just make up abilities on the spot. OR if your using canon characters, no sheet will be needed. But if using custom characters it's my opinion that yes, sheets are needed.
Back to top Go down

Superion Maximus

Leona

Character Sheet
HP:

PostSubject: Re: Vent's Q&A About Role Play   Vent's Q&A About Role Play EmptySat Apr 05, 2014 2:46 pm

Hero wants to know whether or not he should make a character for https://projectduelforums.forumotion.com/t3221-the-quest-for-the-skull-katanas-character-creation#43145

seeing as how he is the mysterious character
Back to top Go down

Amaterasu

Character Sheet
Name:
HP:
PostSubject: Re: Vent's Q&A About Role Play   Vent's Q&A About Role Play EmptySat Apr 05, 2014 3:19 pm

Superion Maximus wrote:
Hero wants to know whether or not he should make a character for https://projectduelforums.forumotion.com/t3221-the-quest-for-the-skull-katanas-character-creation#43145

seeing as how he is the mysterious character

Don't worry, I made one anyway.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vent's Q&A About Role Play   Vent's Q&A About Role Play Empty

Back to top Go down

Vent's Q&A About Role Play

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1