Project Duel Academy
Please Join or Login!
Project Duel Academy
Please Join or Login!
Project Duel Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Role Play Academy concerning a project to improve duelists.

HomeGallerySearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed]

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

Project Lead Scientist

Founder

Character Sheet
Name:
HP:
Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed] Left_bar_bleue100/100Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed] Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)
Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed] Empty
PostSubject: Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed]   Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed] EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 8:23 pm

Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed] Awesome_YuGiOh_Banner_by_XxChange_Of_HeartxX

Activate and Resolve

Again a Negate and Resolve Lesson. Yet this time, it's about Spell and Trap cards, instead of Monsters. As tricky as the Monsters may be, Spell and Traps have some difficulty as well.

Spell Effects

Spell Cards are, obviously, the effects of Spell Cards. There are quite some Spell Cards, so here's a little list of the ones we have.

- Normal
- Quick-Play
- Equip
- Continuous
- Field
- Ritual

Each of these Spell Cards have their own little Symbol at the card, at the right, under the name. Exception is Normal Spell. Those don't have a Symbol.

Normal Spell Cards.

Normal Spell cards can only be used in your own Main Phase 1 or 2. They go to the Grave as soon as their effects have resolved.

Quick-Play Spell Cards.

Quic-Play Spell have a special thing that no other Spell can do. They can be used in your opponents turn. This is often explained as "can be used as a Trap Card". And as such, it also has the drawback from a Trap, that it cannot be used the turn it was Set. Basically, you can either use a Quick-Play Spell Card in any Phase of your own turn, or you can Set it, and after that it's the same story.

What some people mistake with Quick-Play Spells, is that you can use it in your opponents turn from your hand. For it to be able to be used in your oipponent's turn, it has to be Set first. That way, it works like a Trap.

Equip Spell Cards.

Equip Spells are spells that can be activated by attaching them to a monster. This card then becomes equiped to that monster, and when the monster goes either face-down or leaves the field, the equip is destroyed. As long as they aren't destroyed by other cards, or the monster isn;t removed from the field or flipped face-down, then the Equip stays on the field.

Continuous Spell Cards.

Continuous Spells, like Normal and Equip Spells, can only be used in your Main Phase 1 or 2. Unlike normal or Quick-Plays, these cards do not leave the field after they've resolved. And what's more, even while they're lying on the field, they can still activate effects. Some of which are Trigger effects which could be activated in Battle Phases or Draw Phases, like Heart of the Underdog or Wind-Up Factory.

Field Spell Cards.

Like with Continuous Spells, Field Spells also stay on the field after resolving.  They have effects that affect the whole field as well, or at times also effects that only affect the controller. Like Dragon Ravine does. Field Spells have their own Zone, at the upper left corner of the field.

Ritual Spell Cards.

Rituals have only one purpose. They're to Ritual Summon a Ritual Monster. [Bet you didn't guess that] Whenever they're activated, you have to tribute from your hand or field, monsters whose levels equal the level of the Ritual Monster you intend on summoning. There is also a Ritual Spell Card that lets you send Monsters from your Deck ro Grave. However that requires the levels to be precisely the same. Advanced Ritual Art.

Trap Effects

Trap Cards also have some different effects. Unlike the many Spells, Traps only have 3 different types.

- Normal
- Continuous
- Counter

Normal Trap Cards.

Normal Traps, like Normal Spells, have no Symbol. They're color coded purplish pink, and have their own good effects. Commonly, you Set a Trap Card on the field, face-down before you can use it. And the standard rule on Traps is that you cannot use them, at the turn you Set them. Before we had a Spell that allowed you to do that, called Temple of the Kings, but that card is banned. Now the Trap Trix monsters give support to a Trap Based deck.

Continuous Trap Cards.

Like with Continuous Spells, after resolve, they stick on the field and stay active, until they are destroyed. There is more to it then that, however. Like Monster Effects, some continuous Traps also have the "Once per turn" clause in their text. But unlike with Monsters [expect for the fact they state "during either players turn"], these effects with Traps are able to be activated in either players turn. For example, if Player A activates Dark Smog, then he can use that effect in both players turns.

Counter Trap Cards.

Counter Traps are the worst nightmare. They're usually cards you can't stop, and they work like Normal Traps. Just harder to go up against.

Spell Speeds

Here's some added information about Spell Speeds. This is an important thing, and is something you have to know if you ever want to start with competitive dueling. Basically, every card, whether monster, spell or trap, has a Spell Speed. Don't worry, it's not that you have to learn about every single card what spell speed they are. It's way simpler.

Konami's given each type of card a spell speed. Here's the gist of it.

Spell Speed 1:
Ignition Monster Effects, Normal Spells, Continuous Spells, Equip Spells, Field Spells, Ritual Spells. These card effects can only be used in the Main Phase 1 or 2 of your own turn. In case of a Chain, these cards can only appear as Chain Link 1. They cannot chain on other cards.

Spell Speed 2: Quick Monster Effects, Quick-Play Spell Cards, Normal Trap Cards, Continuous Trap Cards. These can be used in either players turn, and in the case of a chain link, they can chain to cards that have the Spell Speed 1 or 2.

Spell Speed 3: Counter Traps. They are used as Traps, but are the fastest cards around. They can chain to right about anything [continuous effects excluded] and themselves, while Spell Speed 1 or 2 can't chain on a Spell Speed 3.

Task

This week, it's gonna be a bit the same as last week. I'm sorry if the above Lesson hasn't been as well constructed as the others, but I've been the only available Teacher the past 3 weeks, so I'm afraid it'll have to do.

What you have to do is, again with a screenshot for each type, explain which cards is what type, and explain what spell speed it is. 20 OD for each.

Back to top Go down
https://projectduelforums.forumotion.com

great roxman

Leona

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed]   Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed] EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 8:35 pm

V_V my computer wont let me take screen shots
Back to top Go down

Sasukat

Character Sheet
Name:
HP:
Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed] Left_bar_bleue100/100Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed] Empty_bar_bleue  (100/100)
PostSubject: Re: Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed]   Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed] EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 9:39 pm

Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed] YobCFif

Ante - Normal Spell - Spell Speed 1
Cold Feet - Quick-Spell - Spell Speed 2
Broken Bamboo Sword - Equip Spell - SS 1
Jam Breeding Machine - Continuous Spell - SS 1
Divine Wind of Fluffy Valley - Field Spell - SS 1
Doriado's Blessing - Ritual Spell - Super Saiyan 1
Chain Disappearance - Normal Trap - SS 2
Pole Position - Continuous Trap - SS 2
Seven Tools of the Bandit - SS 3
Back to top Go down

great roxman

Leona

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed]   Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed] EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 9:54 pm

https://i.imgur.com/B99XGoO.png these are the 8 different type of spells and traps.
normal spell cards are speed 1 which are the slowest( https://i.imgur.com/vG73u3F.png ),
equip spells are also normally speed 1 unless cad text saids otherwise(example the "abyss-scales" equip card is a speed spell 2 due its eff to neg)( https://i.imgur.com/gIWlHCI.png ).
field cards are also normally speed 1 as well unless card text allows its eff to be use on either players turn( https://i.imgur.com/WojZNLd.png ).
continuos spells are almost aways speed 1, I do not kno any that is higher than 1( https://i.imgur.com/QmTZixD.png ).
quick play spell are speed 2 which allows you to use it on either players turn, "note that once u set it, just like a trap It can not be use til the start of ur opponents turn after u set it"( https://i.imgur.com/LvW8rnR.png )
. trap cards in nature are auto speed spell 2 or higher. normal and continuous traps can be use on either player turn after they are set for 1turn( https://i.imgur.com/nRUoRwl.png ).
counter traps are speed  and is the highest of speeds( https://i.imgur.com/AAf6wvG.png ).
knowing wat speed each card is is important becuz that allows u to kno wat to chain and how to chai it, a speed 1 cant chain to any other than another 1, a speed to can chain to 1 or another 2, a 3 can chain to a 2 or 1. "side note, that only a 3 can be chain or active during damg step unless the speed 2 has the eff to neg or change the atk/def of a monster(s)

Last edited by great roxman on Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

great roxman

Leona

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed]   Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed] EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 9:55 pm

next time ima do that way, (so much easier than wat I did, even tho I was gonna do it that way but I was to to explain I detail "hero!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!")
Back to top Go down

Primus Maximus

Leona

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed]   Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed] EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 11:13 pm

https://i.imgur.com/e9cWUWl.png

"A" Cell Breeding Device-SS 1
A Feather of the Phoenix-SS 1
Abyss-Scale of the Cetus-SS 1
Acidic Downpour-SS 1
Dawn of the Herald-SS 1
Book of Moon-SS 2
A Feint Plan-SS 2
Abyss-Sphere-SS 2
Black Horn of Heaven-SS 3
Back to top Go down

Fluff Fluff

Zed

Character Sheet
Name: Fluff
HP:
Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed] Left_bar_bleue0/0Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed] Empty_bar_bleue  (0/0)

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed]   Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed] EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 12:14 am

https://i.imgur.com/Q87aF69.png

Falling Current: normal spell, spell speed 1
Chain strike: quick play spell, spell speed 2
Butterfly dagger - Elma: equip spell, spell speed 1
Chain energy: continuous spell, spell speed 1
Clock tower prison: field spell, spell speed 1
Advanced ritual art: ritual spell, spell speed 1

Cemetery bomb: normal trap, spell speed 2
Gozen match: continuous trap, spell speed 2
Negate attack: counter trap, spell speed 3
Back to top Go down

NepNep

Leona

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed]   Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed] EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 1:30 am

https://i.imgur.com/zqBAG0X.png Left To Right Cell Sumthing Continous SS 1 Cell Scatter Burst SS 2 7 Completed SS 1 Feather Of My Abuela SS 1 Legendary Ocean SS 1 Ritual Of Hah Gayyyyy SS 1 https://i.imgur.com/adHkAnZ.png Abyss-Mermails Are Gay And BORING SS 2 Anti-Rageki Best Card In The Meta Atm SS 2 And Armor Break SS 3
Back to top Go down

marko22

Leona

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed]   Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed] EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 1:32 am

https://i.imgur.com/vaG1Mh4.png
omen speed spell 1
upstart speed spell 1
book of moon speed spell 2
infernity barrier speed spell 3
evilswarm thunderbird speed spell 2
Back to top Go down

Princessvilmisa

Leona

Character Sheet
Name:
HP:
PostSubject: Re: Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed]   Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed] EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 2:19 am

Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed] Z6Zh7QR
Acid Rain- Normal Spell, spell speed 1
A cell scratter burst-  quick play spell,spell speed 2
7 completed- equip play, spell speed 1
Attraffic control- contious spell, spell speed 1
A legendary ocean-continous ,field spell speed 1
Beastly Mirror ritual- ritual, spell speed 1
A fient plan- normal trap, spell speed 2
back fire- continuous trap, spell speed 2
Anti spell-  counter,spell speed 3
Back to top Go down

Raich

Leona

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed]   Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed] EmptyTue Oct 29, 2013 5:06 pm

https://i.imgur.com/BAolNbR.png

Ancient Rules - Normal spell , spell speed 1
Book of moon - Quich-play spell , spell speed 3
Mage power - Equip spell , spell speed 1
The gates of Dark World - Field spell , spell speed 1
Black Luster Ritual - Ritual spell , spell speed 1
Mirror force - Normall trap , spell speed 2
Imperial Iron wall - Continuous trap , spell speed 2
Debunk - Counter trap , spell speed 3
Back to top Go down

clairedestroyer

Leona

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed]   Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed] EmptySat Nov 02, 2013 8:32 pm

Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed] DmuzWvE

using mostly meta relevant examples

Gold Sarcophagus, normal spell ss1
Spellbook of Fate, quick-play spell ss2
D.D.R - Different Dimension Reincarnation, equip spell, ss1
Dimensional Fissure, continuous spell, ss1
The Grand Spellbook Tower, field spell, ss1
Black Illusion Ritual, ritual spell ss1

Phoenix Wing Wind Blast, normal trap ss2
Castle of Dragon Souls, continuous trap ss2
Divine Wrath, counter trap ss3
Back to top Go down

CR1MSON_GENES1S

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed]   Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed] EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 5:55 pm

Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed] 8gCIQiV
https://i.imgur.com/8gCIQiV.png

A Feather of the Phoenix-Normal Spell-SS1
"A" Cell Breading Machine-Continuous Spell-SS1
7 Completed-Equip Spell-SS1
"A" Cell Scatter Burst-Quick Play Spell-SS2
A Legendary Ocean-Field Spell-SS1
Advanced Ritual Art-Ritual Spell-SS1
A Feint Plan-Normal Trap-SS2
Abyss Sphere-Continuous Trap-SS2
Anti Spell-Counter Trap-SS3
(MONSTERS)
4 Starred Ladybug of Doom-Ignition Effect-SS1
A Man With Wdjat-Quick Effect-SS2
Back to top Go down

Dev

Leona

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed]   Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed] EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 3:21 am

Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed] IV51fvI
Monster Reborn - Normal Spell - SS1
Mystical Space Typhoon - Quickplay Spell - SS2
Spellbook of Life - Equip Spell - SS1
Dimension Fissure - Continous Spell - SS1
Dragon Ravine - Field Spell - SS1
Advanced Ritual Art - Ritual Spell - SS1

Compulsary Evacuation Device - Normal Trap - SS2
Skill Drain - Continuous Trap - SS2
Solemn Judgment - Counter Trap - SS3

Shapesnatch - Divine Monster - SS4
Back to top Go down

Crazed Renegade

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed]   Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed] EmptyTue Nov 12, 2013 4:53 am

https://i.imgur.com/LzUsXbv.png

1st Row - SS1 - Normal Spells
2nd Row - SS1 - Continuous Spells
3rd Row - SS1 - Equip Spells
4th Row - SS2 - Quick-Play Spells
5th Row - SS1 - Field Spells
6th Row - SS1 - Ritual Spells
Side - SS2 - Normal Traps

https://i.imgur.com/STR2kl0.png

1st Row - SS2 - Continuous Traps
2nd Row - SS3 - Counter Traps
Back to top Go down

C.C.

Admin

Character Sheet
Name: C.C.
HP:

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed]   Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed] EmptyTue Nov 12, 2013 8:07 pm

Graded [finally] and locked.

Sorry for the insane delay guys, but being the only Teacher. Not something to be exactly proud of.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed]   Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed] Empty

Back to top Go down

Lesson 18: Spell/Trap Effects [Activate and Spell Speed]

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1